It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:59 am 

Hi

I'm having some trouble finding out what is the best recording level to use when recording LPs.

For example what happens if the level goes into the red? The manual mentions "distortion" but not specifically what to listen for. Is too loud worse than too quiet? (I know that too quiet will likely increase background noise levels and possibly impact track detection)

The recording level wizard only monitors a short amount of track time and I usually have no idea which is the loudest part of the record - other than by inspecting the grooves to see which is the least dense part. Are there any other ways of finding the loudest part of a record?

It would be very handy if SIA could track whether level overload has happened during a recording (and display when) as then I'd know to go back and redo it. The level meters only show red for a short time, so it's easy to miss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:03 am 

Hi
Song level is crytical. If you are adding songs to a device or program with previously trancribed songs and songs from other locations you don't want to fiddle with volume controls at the time of listening.

Assuming a 10 song LP, I usually play a song that I know to be boisterous right through. Then I pick the area that I found to be the loudest. 30 secs is plenty long enough to set the volume. If the odd piece of a rock song flicks in the red, that's just about right.

Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:01 am 

I'm not changing vol half way through - plus this is for one album, rather than building a compilation.

From some reading around the topic, I was under the impression that "flicking in the red" was a Very Bad Thing indeed i.e. digital clipping which must be avoided at all costs. It seems that using decent soundcard/preamp/record deck etc. with a low noise floor reduces the importance of having a high PC record level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:12 am 

mr-b wrote:
I'm not changing vol half way through - plus this is for one album, rather than building a compilation.

From some reading around the topic, I was under the impression that "flicking in the red" was a Very Bad Thing indeed i.e. digital clipping which must be avoided at all costs. It seems that using decent soundcard/preamp/record deck etc. with a low noise floor reduces the importance of having a high PC record level.

my 2 cents....pretty much set it manually once and that it...now i use usb turntable so maybe an issue if one using regular turntable/rca in's connection. I played with sia auto setting, but I think always set level to high, even if track a loud track....

Bottom line that one setting used for over 100 albums, all sound fine level wise.....now one SHOULD set for each album, but eh....me!...I do check the 'normalize' setting though in options....