It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:40 pm 

i love the software. versatile, easy to use. love it. but every song i've recorded has the same issue with spots in the recording were there is stuttering and skipping.

this normally shows up after the project is closed for the first time. when it is reopened.. bam.... the stuttering and skiping appears. it can happen in areas where there not much audio being played back. and when it appears its always in the same spot or spots.

normal CPU utilization is around 35% on my system during a playback. in the stuttering/skiping spots it spikes up to 100% for a second then drops down to 35% and everything is back to normal. I have no other programs running. It's seems to be the file is corrupted or something.

my questions are .. what in mixcraft cause these spikes? why does it always happen in the same spots? How do I correct this issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:05 pm 

Hi,

Do the CPU spikes coincide with some other program running in the background? You can bring up Windows task manager and look at what's eating up CPU at those times.

Are you using Mixcraft 4.5 build 118? If not, try the latest version of Mixcraft.

In Mixcraft, click on the File menu and select Preferences. What do you have selected there: Wave, ASIO or WaveRT? If you're using Wave, try doubling the number of buffers and the buffer size. This will increase latency but smooth out playback.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:24 pm 

thanks for your reply.

running the most current version. mixcraft is the program that has the CPU spike. nothing else in the background using CPU at the time it spikes. tried double and tripling buffers and still have the problem. in the current song i'm working on another really bad stutter spot just appeared. it makes it nearly impossible to finish the song because i need to record a guitar solo in the spot wear it's stuttering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:43 am 

i'm using WAVE. playback is through a Creative SB Live card. btw... when i mix down to an mp3 the resulting file has none of the skips or stuttering i hear on the mixcraft file.

just strange to me while the playback is going along fine at a reasonable CPU rate then all of the sudden spikes up to 100 for a second or two and back down to a reasonable level.

if any one has any ideas or suggestions i would greatly appreciate it.

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 8:43 am 
Site Admin

Can you send us a log file in a
support request here

Eric On Facebook
Eric On Soundcloud
Eric On Reverbnation
Eric On A Giant chair ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:12 pm 

eric... i submitted the log. ticket 119607

btw.. this just happened on another song i'm recording. it was playing fine. then i added delay effect to a track and when i played it back it then had a stutter point.

thanks,
fred

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:25 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, this happens when your cpu starts to get overloaded, it cannot keep up with everything at once. If you render the song as an mp3, wav, etc it will be fine.

Eric On Facebook
Eric On Soundcloud
Eric On Reverbnation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:59 pm 

right but the problem is that if i have to add a new track after it happens the song is hosed and i have to do a final mix on what i have so far and then create a new project with a track that has all i';ve done so far. not really the optium way to work on a song using multi-track recording. i'd like to be able to go back anytime and add, change, delete elements of the song. it's nearly impossible to do that once the project begins to skip and stutter.

i hope the log file will give you some clues. please let me know.

thanks,
fred

Post subject: Re: re
PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:01 pm 

Acoustica Eric wrote:
Yes, this happens when your cpu starts to get overloaded, it cannot keep up with everything at once. If you render the song as an mp3, wav, etc it will be fine.

the question is.. why did it work fine during an entire playback... then a few moments later it had a spot where it stuttered for about 5 seconds? all i did was add delay to a track.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:21 pm 
Site Admin

Yes adding more effects means more for your cpu to process. You were evidently at that line.

Eric On Facebook
Eric On Soundcloud
Eric On Reverbnation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:27 am 

i now use mixcraft with no other software running. i've done this for the past few weeks and here is what I found.

if we record all tracks and don't put any FX on them the skipping problem never surfaces. we can go for weeks adding tracks, saving and opening the project and play back remains perfect.

however, as soon as we add delay or reverb or any FX to any of the tracks the skipping/stuttering problem surfaces and from that point on whenever you play the song back it retains this problem.

even if you remove all FX on all tracks the skipping remains.

again, this is with no other software running on the PC.

just thought you would like to know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:42 pm 

I get the problem a lot when I'm recording. And that's with no effects loaded and I've used task manager to turn off everything I can. Playback will ssssslllllooooowwwww down, and it'll skip and crackle, rendering that take useless. It's very frustrating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:37 am 

sperley wrote:
I get the problem a lot when I'm recording. And that's with no effects loaded and I've used task manager to turn off everything I can. Playback will ssssslllllooooowwwww down, and it'll skip and crackle, rendering that take useless. It's very frustrating.

Guys, I used to have similar problems. Recently, I upgraded to a more powerful comp configuration - all the problems are gone. All the project I had problems with are just fine now.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:11 pm 
Site Admin

fcap, are you using the acoustica effects or a third party vst effect?

Eric On Facebook
Eric On Soundcloud
Eric On Reverbnation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:19 pm 

I just upgraded my hardware - 2GHz proc, 6Gb RAM - still get skipping\\ :(