It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:55 am 

HI! I noticed that Mixcraft records and play virtual instrument very low. I tried to increase to 200% the volume but it is still low. Do you know how increase it much more? How to get a more powereful sound? thanx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:46 am 

hi jamz
i had a similar problem with this, if you go to efx on the track your
using, then go to select efx, look for acoustica commpresor then click
on edit, then go to output gain at the bottom, slowly increase the
output level, then you will hear the sound to your choice
hope this has been some help for you rgd,s Tiny :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:08 am 

Tiny wrote:
hi jamz
i had a similar problem with this, if you go to efx on the track your
using, then go to select efx, look for acoustica commpresor then click
on edit, then go to output gain at the bottom, slowly increase the
output level, then you will hear the sound to your choice
hope this has been some help for you rgd,s Tiny :D

Hi Tiny! I tried and it It works great! Thank you very much! :) I'm very happy now :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:20 am 

hi jamz
i,m plesed this worked for you, as i say i was struggling
for a while, it,s only a matter of time finding your way around
this mixcraft software is the best iv,e ever used
rock on mixcraft team :D Tiny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:27 pm 

I was having the same problem...grr I'm surprised I have any hair left after pulling it all out because of this problem. I was actually having to turn everything else down real low to compensate, lol. Nice tip!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:52 am 

When you do this are you using the Compressor as a "Amp" and just amplifying the signal, or are you having to compress the signal? It seem that it would be detrimental to the original sound to have to compress it before you wanted to. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:53 am 

Also, make sure that the velocity (volume) of your notes is high enough. Select a midi loop, choose the sound tab in the Details area, and click on a note to see the velocity. If all of the velocities are low you can change them quickly by drawing a velocity curve in the Controller area.

I often enter and edit midi note data "by hand" one note at a time and I always have to be careful that the velocity is right or else I have the same problem that you described.

*Vibrant Audio*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:43 pm 

This "soft virtual instrument" problem actually seems kind of serious now that I'm learning more about audio software and how all the different parts work. The bottom line is that you go into mixcraft, you select a virtual instrument, you play some notes on it using all the default settings, then slap down a loop from the mixcraft loop library, and the loop will be like 10x louder than the instrument. That's a pretty significant problem. And putting a compressor on it, or having to adjust the midi by hand is really just a band-aid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 5:58 pm 

Just lower the volume on the loop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:57 pm 

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Just lower the volume on the loop.

Yea, that's what I did originally, I thought that was a good solution because I'm a total digital audio noob, but since then I've read that it's much better to record at a higher volume (but not so high that it clips) and turn things down as appropriate later. Correct? So that's not really a good solution either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:49 pm 

Pre DAW(Digital Audio WorkStations) in the old tape days it was customary to get a recording as close to,"Clipping as possible because of the S/N(signal to noise) ratio of the tape media.This is not such a concern these days as digital recording allows much more,"Headroom" e.f it's much more forgiving.

Mixcraft,like other digital recording systems,allows virtual noise free and little or no perceptible quality loss manipulation of recorded material.Getting sound levels between different parts correct is just a skill to be learnt as we all have different setups.

My sound card has a fancy software mixer and it took me a few weeks pulling my hair out to get all my levels working between my different software recording programs/samples etc as there's so much flexibility.

Bottom line:You have a massive amount of control over the sound manipulation so you can adjust virtually anything to your liking and not have to worry about it.

If you check out the,"Tips" section on here and other sound forums you'll find loads of free help to improve your knowledge and make better recordings.

The best tip I can give is don't record noise,record sound

:D

http://www.myspace.com/sheppola

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_mu ... dID=670832

Paul Douglas Sheppard

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:53 pm 

Hi,

Record the audio at a good level, and then turn it down if you can't get the MIDI loud enough. Hold down the shift key and position the mouse cursor over the line that runs down the middle of the sound, then drag the line down to turn down the volume (of course make sure the Volume / Pan / Etc. setting at the top of the screen is set to Volume).

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:07 am 

Another poster mentioned it... This is usually caused by the sound card's mixer gain set too low.

You can usually open the mixer by an icon in the lower right of your screen. There, check the volume sliders (some of the more advanced sound cards/interfaces have more settings so it may not be real obvious at first. If available, refer to the user guide of your interface).

The compressor solution will work, but it's a bad workaround, since you're not observing proper gain structure. You should be getting a good, strong signal using the controls on your interface and/or interface mixer software.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:43 am 

Hi,

Here's another thing to try: click on the "Change Instrument" option to the left of the Instrument track, make sure you've got the virtual instrument you want selected, then click "Show Details." Click on the 100% in the volume column and type in 200% or some other value between 100% and 200%.

Greg