It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:17 pm 

I attempted to load an MPEG video file into Mixcraft's video track today and received an error that the video had an unsupported codec by Mixcraft. Just out of curiousity, and to further avoid this problem, is there a list of codecs that Mixcraft supports for their video files?

Paul

MXL Mic Mate Audio Interface

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:46 am 

Hi,

AVI and WMV are the two default formats, but Mixcraft 5 just uses Microsoft's DirectX video support, so pretty much any video that you could play in Microsoft Movie Maker will play in Mixcraft 5.

So, you could find converter software that can convert to AVI or WMV, or you could install the codec that allows you to play that MPEG video file type. There doesn't seem to be a clear and easy way to figure out which video codec you need for which files. Installing various video players and other video software is one way people get new codecs.

Check out this Microsoft article for more info: Playing Video in Windows Media Player

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:38 am 

Thanks Greg. Yeah it was a weird situation because my Windows Media Player played the MPEG video file which is why I was confused. Thanks for the information though.

Paul

MXL Mic Mate Audio Interface

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:08 pm 

So is this MX 5 feature supposed to provide some improvements over Windows movie maker (which is free)? Mostly audio mixing I presume, but maybe fewer video controls?

I hope to try it soon.

Mixcraft 4
strat, LP goldtop, Washburn AE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:12 pm 

Hi,

It's just bare bones video support for those who want to work on audio soundtracks for videos. You'd probably want to go back and forth between Windows Movie Maker and Mixcraft, using Mixcraft for the audio and Windows Movie Maker for subtitles, more advanced video editing and the like.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:08 pm 

Acoustica Greg wrote:

so pretty much any video that you could play in Microsoft Movie Maker will play in Mixcraft 5.

this is a bit peculiar and I have to admit to having had issues with other software regarding video formats in the past - the crux of my own issue is that *.mpg files taken on my Sony Handycam will play in BOTH Moviemaker AND Windows Media Player, however if I try to add the same file to a video track in Mixcraft 5 I see the same "unsupported codec" message.

Don't get me wrong, its not stopping me working or making me feel cheated or whatever - I would just like to be able to work against my own video files to write some background music etc.

More reading on microsoft msdn documentation and/or Sony documentation may reveal a solution in the meantime - but I'd be interested on comments from anyone else in case its something I'm doing wrong?

thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:46 pm 

Hi,

Try version 5.0 build 132, which is currently available on the Mixcraft beta page.

If that doesn't help, and you can't figure out how to install the right codec, just convert it to AVI or WMV.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:37 pm 

Did you try the DivX codec?
http://www.divx.com

If I ever have any unsupported video problems, 9 times out of 10, DivX straightens it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:35 am 

dubbemiah wrote:
Did you try the DivX codec?
http://www.divx.com

If I ever have any unsupported video problems, 9 times out of 10, DivX straightens it out.

downloaded DivX and the good news is that it converted my video from the Sony Handycam format (whatever the heck that is!) into DivX format which will open in Mixcraft! yayyyyy!

oh, hang on! I cheered too soon!

no sound!!!!! booo!

oh well - not to worry - thanks for the suggestions - this was a "nice to try" rather than a "must be able to do this" and could well be caused by my total lack of knowledge in this area :lol:

I'll stick to stuff I'm good at - like, doing what the wife tells me to! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:39 am 

miken wrote:
oh well - not to worry - thanks for the suggestions - this was a "nice to try" rather than a "must be able to do this" and could well be caused by my total lack of knowledge in this area :lol:

I'll stick to stuff I'm good at - like, doing what the wife tells me to! :wink:

I've used the free, written-for-vidiots RipBot to do a number of format conversions - it's well-written, with a clean, simple interface, and works like a charm. Check it out here:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=127611

Hope this helps.

BTW, I'm running the Mix5 trial now, and the Music Notation feature is absolutely first-rate. Makes me feel like a real composer...:wink:

JM