It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:20 am 

With Mixcraft 5, windows 7 and a 1.6 ghz Hp laptop, I'm trying to use the exlusive mode for tighter live performance. ( For simplicity I'd like to avoid use of my external USB sound device) I get a message "unable to open playback device." Any idea why this is and if it can be corrected? (20 ms is workable but . . .)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:28 am 

Hi,

Where is that error coming from? Mixcraft? With WaveRT Exclusive mode, any other programs are locked out of using the soundcard (hence the term "exclusive mode.").

If the error is coming from Mixcraft, first make sure that no other audio programs are running in the background and using the soundcard when you start Mixcraft. If that's no help, check with your soundcard or computer manufacturer for updated audio drivers.

Greg

Post subject: Exclusive Mode
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:38 pm 

The notice comes after I hit OK in mixcraft preferences. I think I have the latest drivers from HP. Could there be programs using the sound card that are hidden? How would I find them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:45 pm 

Hi,

What kind of soundcard does your HP have in it?

Greg

Post subject: Exclusive mode
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:55 pm 

It's identified as 'Conexant High Definition Smartaudio 221'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:32 pm 

I have also Win 7 and try not to use my USB interface. But unlike you, I managed to succeed in getting it to work. But I don't really remember how I did it. Duh. Ok, I suggest open Playback devices (right click on the sound icon down on the right of the taskbar). Make sure the playback device you are going to use with AM5 is set to being the DEFAULT one. Then select RECORDING devices, and do the same. Set it to being the DEFAULT one.
On BOTH those devices, right click and select properties, and then in the Advanced tab, make sure the boxes are ticked ON to "allow applications to take exclusive control" and the other one "give exclusive mode applications priority".
Also, although you may think (maybe it's true, but I don't know) you have the latest drivers, I installed the REALTEK drivers, and then everything worked great.
If all or some of this worked for you, be sure to disable any audio enhancements later too. Ok, hope this helps.

Post subject: Latency
PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:55 pm 

I can only get my latency down to 3 ms. I know that is pretty low but I was wondering if I could get it down to 1 or 0. I'm running windows 7, WaveRT and exclusive mode. Using Blue Snowball and an onboard sound card from a Gigabyte motherboard. Maybe it's just the sound card but I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

Post subject: Wave RT Problems
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:15 am 

I've been trying to use the WaveRT and WaveRT Exclusive settings in my Mixcraft5 Preferences for Sound Devices but cannot get it to work. I've followed the suggestions listed below and also the suggestions in the Mixcraft 5 Manual. I've also made sure that my Realtek drivers are up to date. I'm using a new Toshiba Satellite A505-S6986 Model portable computer that is fairly fast and has plenty of Ram so I'd definitely like to take advantage of the low latency settings in WaveRT. The message that I receive from Mixcraft 5 when I try to establish the WaveRT setting is "Mixcraft was unable to open your playback device with your current settings." I can use ASIO and "Allow Pull Mode (WaveRT) within the ASIO mixer options, but I'm not sure what real difference that makes.
Please advise, Joe

sightlessness wrote:
I have also Win 7 and try not to use my USB interface. But unlike you, I managed to succeed in getting it to work. But I don't really remember how I did it. Duh. Ok, I suggest open Playback devices (right click on the sound icon down on the right of the taskbar). Make sure the playback device you are going to use with AM5 is set to being the DEFAULT one. Then select RECORDING devices, and do the same. Set it to being the DEFAULT one.
On BOTH those devices, right click and select properties, and then in the Advanced tab, make sure the boxes are ticked ON to "allow applications to take exclusive control" and the other one "give exclusive mode applications priority".
Also, although you may think (maybe it's true, but I don't know) you have the latest drivers, I installed the REALTEK drivers, and then everything worked great.
If all or some of this worked for you, be sure to disable any audio enhancements later too. Ok, hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:02 pm 

Did you get the latest Realtek drivers from Realtek's web page?

WaveRT Exclusive mode is not going to work for everybody. Your sound card has to support it.

You should consider getting a low-latency sound card, instead of using the one built into your computer's motherboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:12 pm 

Hi Greg,
At first I just used the Update Driver selection within my computer's Device Manager, which told me that "the driver software is up to date." After getting your message I went directly to the Realtek site and downloaded the latest driver for Windows 7. However, after installing the updated software it made no difference in the operation of the WaveRT option within Mixcraft.
What sound cards do you recommend? Are there external sound card setups that don't require me to take out my current card and replace it with another? I looked up "low latency sound cards" and found a very great range of prices and types.
Thanks for your assistance, Joe

____

Acoustica Greg wrote:
Did you get the latest Realtek drivers from Realtek's web page?

WaveRT Exclusive mode is not going to work for everybody. Your sound card has to support it.

You should consider getting a low-latency sound card, instead of using the one built into your computer's motherboard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:39 pm 

Here are some ideas: What sound devices work well with Mixcraft?

Before you choose one, do some research and make sure it has good audio drivers for Windows 7 (32-bit? 64-bit?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:04 pm 

Hi All,
Monday, December 20, 2010

According to Acoustica, .the waveRT exclusive mode provides ultra low latency without any special sound card drivers. Mixcraft can now interface directly with the audio hardware, by passing the operating system for truly stunning audio performance.
They might add ÔÇ£but only with certain sound cardsÔÇØ.

Make no mistake, MC5ÔÇÖs waveRT exclusive mode works but, as Acoustic Greg and others have pointed out, only if your onboard sound card supports waveRT. Mine does. It has RealtekÔÇÖs ALC 889. Unfortunately, because of my hearing loss, I canÔÇÖt say that my computerÔÇÖs speakers produce ÔÇ£stunning audioÔÇØ.

Yet as markcm explained, if youÔÇÖre using a usb type audio interface, you would not choose MC5ÔÇÖs waveRT mode. Instead, youÔÇÖd use MC5ÔÇÖs ASIO mode. YouÔÇÖd also download and install special drivers. On my system ASIO4All crashes MC5. Not Acid. Not Audacity. Just MC5. And, since most audio interfaces will bypass your computerÔÇÖs speakers, youÔÇÖll need powered monitors or headphones. After borrowing a headset, I discovered that my FTP works about the same as plugging directly into my computer. However, with mix and level and output knobs, itÔÇÖs more complicated.

MC5ÔÇÖs ASIO and waveRT exclusive modes both work well. Acoustica Eric seems to shy away from usb stuff, including the expense of studio monitors and or time spent searching for compatible ASIO drivers, while markcm and others go usb.

Ive reviewed specs for Realteks ALC889 and M Audios FTP. I didnt understand much and couldnt decide either way. My hearing sucks big time. But I can notice latency.

Is there any objective way to address my concerns, or should I just return the FTP?

Thanks for your patience. Happy Holidays,

bil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:00 pm 

Here's some food for thought,

Regardless of what audio device you are using, whether it be ASIO, Wave, or WaveRT, if you have that device assigned as your default system playback device and you are sending your DAW sound output to it there's a chance there's going to be a conflict in sample rate or "exclusive control' since mixcraft will be sending a fixed sample rate to the card and then the PC will also be trying to send any/all of its sounds including system "ding's and dongs..." at who-knows-what sample rate. My opinion is that it is best to have a dedicated sound playback device for your DAW.

I also notice that the moderators/staff here at Acoustica regularly recommend updating your internal soundcard with the most recent drivers; right or wrong, I've long since deleted the OEM conexant driver for my laptop's internal sound card and forced it to use the windows default driver which works great for me.

I agree that the M-Audio Fast Track Pro is more confusing than your internal sound card but itÔÇÖs not too bad; the manual is short and pretty descriptive. When I first started I made a cheat sheet for several functions such as the A/B button (controls headphone playback of either channels ┬¢ or ┬¥) and the mix knob (turn CCW for hardware monitor of signals as they enter the FTP or turn CW to only monitor the processed sounds returning from your DAW, or leave in the middle to hear a mix of both).

Someone on the forum has recently posted that they have had great results with a behringer USB audio input device which is much more basic yet still uses ASIO drivers and can be had for about $30 at amazon.com; you might check that out. I think it was this device: Behringer UCG102 Guitar-to-USB Interface

Post subject: re
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:26 pm 
Site Admin

Good info markcm, and I agree it's best to have a dedicated high quality sound card/device for your DAW work. The reality is though that a lot of people don't realize they can't get a professional studio sound by recording vocals through their web cam mic and trying to fix it with VST effects. So yes, a high end audio interface/sound card for input and output is the best way to go.

As far as windows drivers go, if that works in your case that's great, but as a PC tech for many years I can attest that I have rarely had any luck at all with drivers that come from windows update. The only time I attempt to use them is if I have a device who's manufacturer simply does not make a driver for the OS I am trying to use with it. More so than audio, using video drivers from MS seems to be a deliberate attempt to mess things up :-) Again, if you have had better luck that's awesome for you, but MS drivers and I don't get along very well.

Eric On Facebook
Eric On Soundcloud
Eric On Reverbnation
Eric On A Giant chair ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:18 pm 

Yo Eric,
I'm a little confused. Not so much about my very cheap logitek usb mike and computer speakers. The mike is what it is, but the speakers sound ok playing my chuck berry mp3's. Shaymans mp3 versions of Mountains sound ok too.

Will there be much difference in audio if I go mic in, a shure sm57, and MC5 waveRT exclusive versus, say, running the sm57 through fast track pro? Realtek's ALC889 specs seem comparable to FTP's, but I'm not skilled in audiophile stuff.

I'd love to buy studio monitors but, hey, I really can't afford them. Not sure if I could notice the difference.

Happy Holidays,
bil