It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recording Levels
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:06 pm 

When recording a vocal for the first time with Mixcraft Pro Studio 6 I ended up with a lot of distortion and a very wide soundtrack . I am using a usb AT 2020 side addresse mic and an pop filter. Here are some of my questions:
Should I use Wave or WaveRT with windows 7, I have a dv7 HP i7 core laptop?
What is the proper distance between mic, pop filter and singer.?
Should I tilt or angle the pop filter relative to the mic , for example, 15 or 20 degrees, I read this someplace?
When it comes to setting the volume levels can I set the main fader at 0 , normal, how low can I go on the track volume level, I've heard it is always better to boost than to try to correct distortion?
I appreciate any advice you can give me.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Recording Levels
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:17 am 

If recording straight in with the USB you will need to access your sound cards mic levels when using Wave RT. Try adjusting these levels to reduce your distortion. Recording levels should be peaking at -6dB max and not maxed on your sound card.

You might need to be either closer or further from the mic to get the correct level. I would keep the pop filter closer to you rather than the mic.

What do you mean when say "wide soundtrack"? :?:

SoundCloud
Mixcraft Live
YouTube

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:49 am 

Sam,
I hope I can explain the wide soundtrack, please excuse my ignorance. I guess the sound wave or what ever you call it, as it is produced by singing while recording , on some of the tracks they were very thick while others were more narrow. I guess the singer might have gotten to close to the mic on some of the tracks. I'll check into that sound card, I didn't realize you could adjust the levels for the mic. Another problem I was having was with latency, when I try to get below 20 milliseconds with WaveRT my computer would start getting the gargle and crackle. My computer is tuned up, while recording I turn off the anti virus so maybe it's just the soundcard adjustment.
Thanks

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:02 am 

Hi,

You can try checking the "Exclusive Mode" option with WaveRT if you haven't already done that.

Have you watched this video? Optimize Your PC For Use With Mixcraft

Greg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:22 pm 

Greg, Sam,
Yes, I've seen the video and have applied it to my computer, I have not tried the exclusive mode but will the next time I record. I also found the place to adjust the external mic when plugged in, between these two issues, hopefully they will solve the problem. The next time I record I'll let you know if it works.
Thanks so much.
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:24 pm 

While doing some pratice recordings, I think I found one mistake I was making under the preference tab. I did not have the AT2020 mic checked off, it was on a default setting. I also checked off WaveRT at 20 milliseconds without the exclusive mode, the latency was not all that bad, but I'll try it in the future. I also found the AT2020 mic levels in the sound card and adjusted it to a low level of 30%. I think once the AT2020 mic is checked off in the preference tab you can adjust the mic level at the track level without going to the sound card when in the recording mode, I could be wrong.

My question is when you arm the track for recording under the pull down tab there are three extra boxes you can check off, I left these unchecked. One says External Mic IDT Definition Audio CODEC, Integral Mic Arroy IDT High definition Audio CODEC and the other Stereo Mix High Definition Audio CODEC. Should I have checked off any of those boxes, they also have boxes for Stereo, left and right channels? I'm confused as to what these are ,the pratice recordings seem to be okay without distortion at the lower levels.
Thanks
Mike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:54 pm 

Hi,

Just choose the recording device you want to record. If you hear audio coming in only on one side (left or right), choose the side on which you hear the audio.

With Mixcraft 6, you may only get one option for your AT2020 (no stereo, left or right).

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:41 pm 

Thanks Greg, That about sums it up.
Mike